When you’re not an accountant or a financial whizz, tax codes aren’t common knowledge. In fact, they can simply look like a bunch of numbers and symbols that make no sense. However, it is pretty important to understand your own tax code to some extent, and it can help you out a lot in the future.

We’ve compiled the ultimate guide on UK tax codes, so you have everything you need to identify your own. Keep reading to learn about the different tax code types, what they mean, and how to change your codes.

Additionally, make sure to explore What Is A Tax Reference Number And Where Do I Find It for a comprehensive grasp if you haven’t done so already.

What is a tax code and what do they look like?

A UK tax code combines letters and numbers to help HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) calculate an individual’s income tax. It considers personal allowance, extra income, and entitlements. Employers or pension providers use this code to determine the correct tax to deduct.

A typical code, like “1250L” has numbers (reflecting yearly tax-free allowance) and a letter (showing circumstances). For instance, “L” signifies the standard tax-free allowance, “M” is a reduced allowance due to specific situations, and “BR” implies a basic-rate tax on all income. It’s vital to comprehend your code to ensure precise tax deductions and avoid over- or underpaying.

Why are tax codes important?

Tax codes are pivotal in ensuring accurate tax deductions from an individual’s income in the UK. These codes, comprising numbers and letters, are tailored to reflect an individual’s tax-free allowance and unique financial situation. Their importance lies in their ability to prevent both overpayment and underpayment of taxes.

An incorrect tax code can have significant financial implications. If the code overestimates an individual’s tax liability, excessive deductions may occur, reducing take-home pay and potential financial strain. Conversely, an underestimated tax code could result in insufficient tax deductions, leading to an unexpected tax bill at year-end.

Such errors can disrupt financial planning, potentially causing hardship or requiring unexpected payments. Therefore, understanding one’s tax code is crucial, as it directly impacts an individual’s disposable income and financial stability. Regularly reviewing and updating the tax code ensures that deductions align with current circumstances, minimizing financial stress and ensuring accurate tax contributions.

Common UK tax codes and their meanings

Below are the different tax codes you’ll most commonly see and how you can interpret them:

  • 1250L: This is the most common tax code and indicates that an individual is entitled to the standard tax-free allowance for the tax year. The “1250” represents the annual tax-free allowance amount, and the “L” signifies that the person is eligible for the standard tax-free amount.
  • BR: The BR stands for Basic Rate. It’s used when all of an individual’s income is taxed at the basic rate, usually because they have multiple sources of income and their personal allowance is used up elsewhere.
  • D0 or D1: These codes are used for individuals with no tax-free allowance or are subject to higher rate tax (40% or 45%) on all of their income.
  • K: This indicates that deductions are greater than allowances, usually because the individual owes tax from previous years, receives benefits that need to be taxed, or has other adjustments.
  • M: This signifies the Marriage Allowance, where one partner transfers a portion of their personal allowance to their spouse or civil partner.
  • N: The N signifies the Marriage Allowance, but the recipient of the transferred allowance is not liable to pay tax.
  • NT: The NT means that no tax is being taken from the income. This could be because the individual has another income source covering their personal allowance.
  • S: The S code is used when an individual is being taxed under the Scottish Income Tax system.
tax codes

What happens if you’re on an emergency tax code?

Being on an emergency tax code means that your employer or pension provider temporarily uses a default tax code because they don’t have enough information about your current circumstances. This might happen if you start a new job and don’t have a P45 form from your previous employer. While on an emergency tax code, you might be paying more tax than you should, resulting in lower take-home pay. 

To correct this, you should provide the necessary details to your employer or HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Once they have accurate information, they will adjust your tax code, and any overpaid tax can be reclaimed through a tax refund.

How to check if you’re on the right tax code

To ensure you’re on the correct tax code in the UK, follow these steps to verify and confirm your tax code:

  1. Check Your Payslip: Review your payslip for your current tax code. It should be displayed alongside your earnings and deductions.
  2. Use Your Personal Tax Account: Create or log in to your Personal Tax Account on the HMRC website. This online tool provides up-to-date information about your tax affairs, including your tax code.
  3. Contact Your Employer or Pension Provider: Reach out to your employer or pension provider and ask them to confirm the tax code they use for you.
  4. Review Correspondence: Check any official letters or notifications you’ve received from HMRC. They often send out tax code notices that reflect changes in your tax situation.
  5. Check P60 and P45 Forms: If you have a P60 form from your current or previous employer or a P45 from your previous job, these documents will display your tax code.
  6. Contact HMRC Helpline: If you’re uncertain about your tax code, call HMRC’s helpline for individuals. They can provide guidance and verify your tax code.
  7. Use Online Tax Calculator Tools: Various online tax calculators are available that allow you to input your income and other details to estimate the correct tax code. These tools can give a rough idea of whether your current code is accurate.
  8. Seek Professional Advice: If your tax situation is complex or you’re unsure about the accuracy of your tax code, consider consulting a tax adviser or accountant.
  9. Update HMRC: If you find that your tax code is incorrect, provide any necessary information to HMRC to ensure it’s updated accurately. This might involve updating your employment details, benefits, or other relevant information.
  10. Regular Check-Ups: Periodically review your tax code to ensure it’s still accurate based on your circumstances, especially if there have been changes in your income or personal situation.

Changing and updating your tax code

If you believe you’re on the wrong tax code in the UK, follow these steps to update and correct it and receive a new tax code:

  1. Gather Information: Collect documents like your P45, P60, recent payslips, and any correspondence from HMRC related to your tax code.
  2. Check Personal Tax Account: Log in to your Personal Tax Account on the HMRC website to view your current tax code and update any relevant information.
  3. Contact Your Employer: If your tax code seems incorrect, speak to your employer or pension provider to clarify and provide them with accurate details about your circumstances.
  4. Contact HMRC: If you still believe your tax code is wrong, call HMRC’s helpline for individuals. Explain your situation, provide supporting documents, and seek their guidance on updating your tax code.
  5. Submit Relevant Information: If HMRC confirms an error, they will guide you on what information to submit for correction.
  6. Review and Correction: HMRC will review your case, verify the details, and provide you with a tax code change.

Tax codes for different types of employment

Tax codes can vary based on different types of employment in the UK:

  • Full-Time Employees: Full-time employees typically have tax codes based on their personal allowance and other deductions. Common codes include the standard 1250L code.
  • Part-Time Workers: Part-time workers usually have similar tax codes as full-time employees, reflecting their pro-rata earnings and allowances.
  • Freelancers/Self-Employed: Freelancers have tax codes like “BR” (basic rate) or “D0/D1” (higher rate) as they’re responsible for their own tax payments through self-assessment.
  • Contractors: Contract workers may have tax codes indicating their status, like “S” for being taxed under the Scottish Income Tax system.
  • Temporary Employees: Temporary staff often receive emergency tax codes until accurate information is provided.
  • Multiple Jobs: Those with a second job or more may have adjusted tax codes to prevent over- or under-taxation.

FAQs about tax codes

How is my tax code determined?

Your tax code is based on various factors, including your tax-free personal allowance, additional sources of income, benefits, and deductions.

What does the number in my tax code mean?

The number represents your tax-free allowance for the tax year. For instance, a code “1250L” means you have a tax-free allowance of £12,500.

Can I change my tax code myself?

While you can’t change your tax code directly, you can provide accurate information to your employer or HMRC to ensure it’s updated correctly.

Call us today.

We have the resources, the experts, the knowledge and experience to help your business grow. And with over 1,000 accountancy clients in the UK and London, the volume of our work allows us to share economies of scale with you.